Flora-Bama's Mullet Toss Is A National TreasureBy: Grant Marek
First off, the Flora-Bama Interstate Mullet Toss is NOT an event where people throw fantastic '80s hairstyles across the Florida-Alabama border.
That would be ridiculous.
Nope, the Flora-Bama Interstate Mullet Toss is an event where people way more reasonably throw dead mullet fish across the Florida-Alabama border.
In front of 100,000.
On the last full weekend in April (so April 28-30, 2017).
As part of the self-proclaimed Gulf Coast's Greatest Beach Party in Pensacola, Florida.
The event, which's hosted by state-line straddler Flora-Bama Lounge and Oyster Bar has been going down for more than three decades, and includes a host of other weekend activites like a women's bikini contest AND a men's bikini contest.
Here's what you need to know if you wanna get in on some mullet flangin':
- It's $15 enter and that'll get you a t-shirt, plus a portion of your entry will go to a bunch of awesome local charities like the Boys & Girls Club (they raise ~$40K every year)
- You have to submit a registration form at the beach
- The mullet fish weigh about a pound, and you can throw them however you want, provided you don't leave the 10-foot throwing circle at any point whatsoever
- All of the dead mullets are fed to the birds once the thing is over and done with
- There are 8 age group categories for the Mullet Toss and the Grand Prize for each division wins a trophy, a Flora-Bama gift certificate, and "any other crap we find laying around"
If for nothing else, do it for the other crap they find laying around.